Iteration Group // UX Design

Iteration Group is a boutique UX design consultancy that I worked with in 2016. While there, I was a UX lead on two projects - one longer term project of 4 months and one shorter term of 1 month. I'll share some of the process for both projects below. Due to NDA constraints, I cannot show any assets from either project nor name one of the clients.

Document Management System Redesign - Undisclosed Client: UX Lead

Project Goals

The team from IG consisted of our Principal, our Engagement Manager, and me, the UX Lead. We spent two days onsite with the client to determine their goals for the project. During this time, we conducted stakeholder interviews, did sketching exercises with the entire team, and got a crash course in their document management system. We fleshed out the main goals during these two days which included updating the system to a modern design and streamlining workflows as their highest priorities.

Challenges

Many users of this system spend their entire day organizing, editing, and sharing files from within the system. We had to be careful during a redesign to not lose functionality, not change security models (very important with a secure document management system, especially within the law field), and don't change nomenclature. Other challenges we had included balancing super user needs vs casual user needs -- something that was a huge determining factor in the system's information architecture and redesign as a whole.

Our Process
User Interviews

After our initial kickoff with the client, we conducted 9 in-person user interviews at law firms throughout the LA area. We had a variety of users: paralegals, administrative assistants, and attorneys. We also had them walk through tasks for us within the system: mini, less formal user tests.

Low Fidelity Wireframes

Once my partner (the engagement manager) and I finished our user interviews, tests, and analysis, we began work on the initial wireframes. I was the primary designer, but we spent time during the week whiteboarding and brainstorming ideas. The engagement manager also had final say on all designs.

I designed all screens in Sketch. We used grayscale for the wireframes so not to influence clients on design ideas based on visual design/color schemes. The flow of work went something like this:

  • Each week, we met with the clients on Monday to discuss what features we should focus on that week as well as discuss the designs from the previous week
  • I designed wireframes based on data we had from client + user interviews
  • Engagement manager and I met mid-week to go over designs and discuss changes
  • I iterated on the designs based on internal feedback
  • We met with client on Friday to go over designs and discuss changes
  • I iterated on client feedback on the wireframes
  • Repeat process!

The wireframes were passed onto a UI designer on our team about 2 months into the process to concurrently design while we finished wires.

Interactive Prototypes

To help with design validation during the project, I made interactive prototypes in InVision using the wires I designed. I also had to do one in Axure in order to get a drag-and-drop feature to work. We tested different designs with users to understand how the user expected our designs to work and what we were missing. Interactive prototypes gave us valuable feedback mid-project in order to keep us on the right track and ensure our designs fit the users mental models of the system.

The Conclusion

The final deliverables for the project were all system screens mocked up in wireframe form, a fully working clickable prototype in InVision, and a full PSD file of the screens designed by the UI designer. The client was then able to hand off the redesign to their developers for incremental implementation.


Visit Another Project